Saturday, December 01, 2007

PCLinuxOS 2007

I wanted to try this OS on my computer over the weekend.  So I downloaded and burned a CD and shoveled it into the CD drive hoping for a quick and easy install.

I was wrong.  The installation was anything but quick and easy.  For starters it couldn't mount the CD drive.  So I was required to specify the following boot options: all-generic-ide irqpoll.  It was a typical problem with all linux disttors about a year ago on the Intel P965 chipset that I use.  But recent linux distributions finally managed to work around this problem.  Except for PCLinuxOS as it turns out.

Anyway, even with those boot options all the PCLinuxOS livecd could do is boot into a command prompt.  It couldn't start the X server.  I logged in with the root/root combination and examined the Xorg.0.log file, where I didn't find anything suspicious, only an innocently looking "fatal server error: cannot run in the framebuffer mode" message which I can't decipher (why does it want to use the framebuffer?  who knows).

Ironically the PCLinuxOS livecd splash screen says: "radically simple."  Nice joke IMO.

Naturally, I couldn't spend any more time with this OS.  Time to move on and try something more worthwhile.  PCBSD maybe?  The only thing I can't understand is how this OS keeps the first position in the distrowatch.org list of OS'es.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm viewing this from PCLinuxOS 2007 - installed flawlessly on an old HP Evo - not the prettiest distro - but certainly the most functional that I have tried on these two ex Win2K retired corporate machines

Anonymous said...

Try GoblinX Mini 2.5...

Anonymous said...

distro-watch allows web bots to vote.
Its been demo'd in their comments.

Rahul Batra said...

I have PCLinuxOS 2007 installed as the main OS on 1 notebook and 1 desktop, and I am simply in love with it. Sad to know that it didn't work for you :(

Anonymous said...

Not all hardware is good hardware.

PClos works fine for me on most boxen. I have had some issues with really low end graphics cards. That may be your problem.

I rebuild donated boxes and give to needy persons. Have been using buntu in past- too many network and video issues. Switching to PClos now- it works great.

Anonymous said...

I used PCLinuxOS for almost 2 years. I really liked it however when I got a new computer I could not get the PCLinuxOS 2007 to work.

I was however able to get PCLinuxOS Gnome to load except the internet and the desktop settings weren't correct. I am hoping when they come out with an updated kernel it will work. I have tried many (as many as I could find) other distros and the most success I get is with a newer kernel but not total success. I can at least load and try out some of the distros but they usually don't have my monitor drivers built in or the internet doesn't work.

I liked Sabayon the best but can't get the internet to work so haven't loaded linux on my new computer. I want to use PCLinuxOS so am crossing my fingers the new version will work.

Anyhow try PCLinuxOS Gnome at this page and you might have success.
http://mypclinuxos.com/doku.php/gnome

Anonymous said...

I have a toshiba satellite A105-S101, a low cost laptop. I tried Ubuntu first and could not get sound even despite following all the standard trouble shooting steps. The first time I loaded PCLinux I too got only a command line. When I rebooted from the live CD in Verbose mode (escape key) it worked and has continued to work like a charm in a dual boot (XP) system.

Anonymous said...

I used PCLinuxOS 2007 for couple of moths, but after the NVidia driver update for FX cards and beyound, the X is crashing when using NVIDIA driver,even if I tried do work with 'nv' driver, I was satisfied in the past but ... no more(same problem on two of my PC's)